ADVANTAGES OF GREEN ROOF
BULLET-PROOFED GREEN ROOF BENEFITS
Advantages of Green RoofsIn fact, crafting Green Roofs and Green Infrastructure for over 40 years is reason enough to approach things differently. Instead of presenting a long list about the benefits of Green Roofs you find here some clear statements of the status quo. It is the unvarnished truth and at the end you think about what is the best solution. After all and if you are still looking for list about the advantages of Green Roofs - just use any search engine and come back later.
- Firstly, in order to counteract the consequences of climate change in urban and suburban areas, intelligent and future-proof solutions are required for climate-friendly urban planning.
- Our urban development and urban sprawls gave us a rich-looking assortment of concrete, asphalt, steel, and glass it is now creating severe issues in managing stormwater.
- Because of our "nice" assortment of concrete, asphalt, steel, and glass, we are yearning for nature. Therefore we spent almost 30% of our earnings on vacations and go where things seem to look like nature.
- In fact, changing human behaviors and "business as usual" seems the most difficult challenge within a society. However, over the last 100 years the human society changed drastically. Today we call that progress.
- Additionally, in every society we find eyebrow-risers. Some of this interesting specie underpin their scepsis with data, reductionist research, papers, pictures, laws, orders, and even the Bible. Common sense seems endangered.
- Moreover, every society also have the overachievers who try to perform better than expected. Solving our environmental issues is a task for all humans and societies. There is no place for personal vanity.
- Humans depend on natural resources like water, air, and food. Because all food some from either plants or animals. Both require a specific habitat other than concrete, asphalt, steel, and glass.
- If every person on Earth would prevent cutting down one tree per year and additionally would plant one tree per year that lasts the lifetime of the person - Carbon sequestration would be on an all time high at hardly any costs.
- Finally, the environmental responsibility of developed countries is super proportionally higher.
What we knew 50 years ago.
Advantages of Green Roofs - For the Building Owner:
- Expand roof life 2x3 times (up to 60 years)
- Lower air-conditioning costs
- Reduce winter heating costs
- Stormwater management tool
- Environmental credits
- Government and municipality incentives
- Improve public relations
- Transform dead space into garden space
For the Community:
- Limit stormwater runoff
- Reduce city “heat island” effect
- Lower smog and improve air quality
- Reduce noise
- Less energy demand
- Improve aesthetics
- Provide green space
For the Environment:
- Prevent combined sewer overflow
- Reduce carbon monoxide impact
- Remove nitrogen pollution from rain
- Neutralize acid rain effect
- Provide habitat for wildlife
Advantages of Green Roofs, Sketches courtesy of Dachbegrünung: Luxus oder Notwendigkeit - 1976