BLUE GREEN ROOFS
Blue Green Roofs a.k.a. Sponge Cities transform low sloped roofs into the most efficient means to manage stormwater volume in the 21st century. In fact, on Blue Green Roofs water is retained and detained in an engineered drainage media layer within the Green Roof system and controlled by smart drains.
The release of stormwater is precisely managed by a Smart Flow Control (SFC) and a Weather App. Smart roof drain valves (SFC) operate entirely autonomous. Of course, powered by solar/battery and with emergency release in an unlikely case of emergency e.g. roof leak. Because SFC operates continuously together with on-time leak detection systems. Smart Flow Control is already in applications around the world and has proven high reliability, fast payback, and very low maintenance.
Blue Green Roofs - Advantages
- Maximize stormwater management in combination with natural environment.
- Amplify evapo-transpiration of vegetation and higher reduction of urban heat island effect.
- Fully controlled temporary and/or permanent storage of rainfall to mitigate runoff impacts.
- Controlling and reducing flow rates from the Green Roof/Roof.
- Boost biodiversity with higher ecological value thru better Air-to-Water Ratio.
- Fully controlled stormwater management increases payback.
- Potential benefit from higher thermal reduction of Green Roof.
- Up to 75% reduction of potable water usage on Urban Farms.
- Provide educational opportunities.
- Most innovative and awarded solution in the industry
Because the Smart Flow Control (SFC) is versatile, it is also an option on Blue Roofs (without greenery). For example under amenity decks with pavers, ceramic tiles or wood tiles. Of course, Green Roof Technology's Blue Roof/ Blue Green Roof solutions works Solar Garden Roofs, too. Actually, the higher evapo-transpiration increases the efficiency of photovoltaic.
In summary, imagine to eliminate stormwater fees from structures entirely. Further imagine if all such systems in a city would be connect, the term "flooding" would be history.
Comparison of Green Roof Types
|Green Roof Type ➡️|
8 to 30 inches +
45-160 Lb/sf +
|Max. Rain Event|
|Solar Garden Roof||
in amenity space
|Blue Green Roof||
Green Roof Technology